This is one of my all-time favorite desserts. The lemon is a shock on the first bite and is surprisingly one of the best desserts I’ve tasted. My husband used to make them while we were dating in the Peace Corps. We were texting back and forth one day and he mentioned that he was making lemon bars. He lived in a house that had no running water and he had to get water from a nearby river. Needless to say, it’s possible to make these anywhere.
2 Sticks of butter
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
4 Tbs flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
sifted confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees.
2. Blend butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cups of confectioner’s sugar.
3. Pat into non-greased 13x9x2 inch pan.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
5. For filling, blend together eggs, sugar, 4 Tbs flour and lemon juice.
6. Pour over first layer.
7. Return to oven and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
8. Loosen around edges, cut into squares and sift confectioner’s sugar over the top while warm.